Here are some discussion questions and topics to help create interaction in your youth group. Feel free to add or subtract to fit your youth group needs.
Take the title of each section and replicate the titles by the number of questions/topics in each section and space them out in a word processing document, then cut each one out individually. If you use this list as I have it here, then print this PDF (Click here to download it) out with the titles already counted and spaced out, ready to cut out individually. Place all the titles in a hat or basket and have the youth pick one out without looking at them first. Then the youth will tell you what title they selected and you will read to them one of the questions under the title.
If they choose the RIDDLES section and do not have the correct answer, you could penalize them by having them sing their favorite song in front of everyone.
SOCIETY & LIFE
- What three major problems do you think young people face today?
- What do you feel about the poor in the world?
- If you could ask Christ to change one problem in the world today, what would you like him to change?
- If you could personally witness any event in history, which one would you choose?
- If you could cure one type of disease, which one would you cure?
- What thing doesn’t exist that someone needs to invent?
- If you had to give every human being one quality, what would it be and why?
- What do you think is the biggest problem in the United States and Why?
- Why are we likely to be critical of how other people look?
- What kind of wrong conclusions do we reach when we judge others by their looks?
- How does the media influence what we see when we look in the mirror?
JUST FOR YOU
- How would others who know you very well describe you?
- When was the last time you admitted you were wrong? Why is it so hard to do?
- What is the hardest thing you have ever done?
- If you had this week over again what would you do differently?
- If you could change anything about yourself, what would you change? Why?
- Which two people are closest to you and why?
- What type of person would you most likely want for a best friend?
- What was the best thing that happened to you this past week?
- If you could have any question answered, what would it be?
- If you had a time machine that would work only once, what point in the future or in history would you visit? Why?
- What have you learned recently from another person?
- Who would you take to a desert island? Why?
- If you could change your name, what would it be?
- What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
- If I gave you $10,000, what would you spend it on? Why?
- If your house was burning down, what three objects would you try and save?
- Something I’ve always wanted to do is…
- What is your favorite time of day? Why?
- Name a gift you will never forget?
- If you were an animal, what would you be and why?
- If you were a car, what would you be and why?
- If you could relive your childhood, how would you like to be different?
- You have the exact same meal for the next 12 months. What do you pick?
- If you could repeat any day in your life, which day would that be and why?
- If you were invisible where would you go and what would you do?
- If you were able to know one thing about the future, what would it be?
HOME & FAMILY
- What do you most like about your parents?
- What do you find most difficult about the Christian life?
- What is one thing you’d like your parents to say to you now?
- What is one thing you wish your parents had said to you growing up?
- What is your least favorite chore to do at home?
- What’s one thing you like about your Mom?
- What’s one trait you admire about your Dad?
- Did you get to know all four of your grandparents? If so, how old were you when they passed away?
- What are 3 qualities you admire in one of your parents?
- How many siblings do you have, and what are your relationships with them like?
- One thing I love/hate about my parents is ____________.
- What would your family say you’re like first thing in the morning?
- What does someone in your family do for you that helps you most?
- What important beliefs have you changed your mind on since following Jesus?
- When was the last time you prayed?
- Which person from the Bible do you most identify with?
- How would your life be different if you knew Jesus was returning in six months time?
- Which Biblical character do you most relate to or identify with? Why?
- How would you define the word “Christian?”
- What’s your favorite characteristic of God?
- What is one question God might ask you?
- What is your favorite part about being in the family of God?
- Where in your daily routine could you become more aware of God’s presence?
- A year from now, how would you like to be more Christ-like?
- What small thing could you do for God this week?
- What is one way you can worship God this week without using music?
- Who is a model of Christ-likeness in your life?
- What is one step God is calling you to take in faith to become more like Jesus?
- If God could only say one thing to you, what do you think He would choose to say?
- Specifically, why do you worship God?
- What draws you closer to God more than anything else?
- What is your most urgent prayer request right now?
- What are some of the changes you have seen in your life since you became a believer?
- What is one verse of Scripture that you have memorized?
- What one question would you like to ask God?
- What “non-spiritual” activity in your life makes God smile?
- In what area of your life do you need to trust God more?
- When do you feel farthest from God?
- What is one of your most favorite worship songs?
- What is something about God or Christianity that you have a hard time believing?
- If you knew Jesus was coming back tomorrow, who would you want to make sure knew about Him as the Savior today?
- Why does God care more about our hearts than our outer appearance?
- Some months have 31 days; some have 30 days, how many have 28 days?
- John Smith was born on December 27th, yet his birthday is always in the summer. How is this possible?
- What belongs to you but others use it more than you do?
- The more there is, the less you see.
- If a blue house is made of blue bricks and a yellow house is made of yellow bricks and a red house is made of redbrick, what is a green house made of?
- Divide 40 by half and add five. What is the answer?
- What comes once in a minute, twice in a moment, but never in a thousand years?
- The more you take, the more you leave behind. What are they?
- What goes up and never comes down?
- A woman gives an astronaut $1.The woman is the astronauts sister, but the astronaut is not the woman’s brother, why?
- You can’t keep this until you have given it.
- What question can you never answer “yes” to?
Riddles Answer Key:
|1. 12||7. The letter M|
|2. He lives in the Southern Hemisphere.||8. Footsteps|
|3. Your name||9. Your age|
|4. Darkness||10. Sister|
|5. Glass||11. A promise|
|6. 85||12. Are you asleep?|
Many of the above discussion starters were taken from a variety of sources, including these: